Fries – After Pulaski Iron Company opened a large furnace at Martin’s Tank and renamed the town Pulaski, Norfolk and Western (by now Norfolk and Western Railway) took over the Cripple Creek Extension from the New River Plateau Railroad Company. The line was extended past Ivanhoe to Fries in 1901. This town is named for Col. Samuel Fries (pronounced “Freeze”) who purchased land at Bartlett Falls around 1900. Through a special act of Congress, Col. Fries got permission to build a dam which provided power for the Washington Mill – a textile mill that was in operation from 1903 – 1989. The town was incorporated in 1902 and is at the end of a spur of the railroad that runs 5 ½ miles from the main line at Fries Junction. There is a 1089-foot bridge trestle at Fries Junction.